Monday, December 12, 2011

Is there a difference between putting your money in a bank account versus a debit card?

I'm 18 and got my first job and was wondering if there is a difference between having a bank account versus a debit card. I have neither so that's why I'm asking.|||A debit card is linked to your bank account. If you use a debit card it automatically takes money out of your account. You can't put money on a debit card. You have to deposit money into a bank account.|||If you have $1000 you can put it in your bank account.





You would then have a balance of $1000.





A debit card (given by your bank) could then be used to purchase up to $1000 worth of whatever you need.





A debit card is used like a credit card but rather than the bank giving you a line of credit the merchant (store) you are purchasing from debits the money directly from your bank account.





There are prepaid debit cards you can get without a bank account. These charge fees based on how much money you are putting on the card.





A proper bank used to charge no fees for use of a debit card but more and more banks are doing so. Check closely with your local bank or with any prepaid debit card provider to read their terms, fees, and so forth.|||Truly...(no funning here ... seriously) I know with all the fear out there about Banks... go with a Bank.... but make SURE you don't over draw on a checking account cause the banks rake you over the coals %26amp; they have your money already... so you end up owing them( and it ruins your credit) as opposed to a debit card... I got one of those pre paid debit cards( a green pak money card) put 100 dollars on it %26amp; I didn't use it ... they charged me 6.95 a month %26amp; it cost me 20 dollars just to get it %26amp; every time I put money on it they charged me... at the last when I used it ... 3 months ago... I still had 10 bucks on it , but the 3 months went by %26amp; they told me I owed them 12 (something) for their monthly fee so I learned my lesson... lucky I kept my Checking account, cause I had a free checking account( as LONG as you DON'T over draft) payed 0 dollars for the year... but be WISE( this is what my Mother taught me LONG ago) Keep 100 dollars in your account at all times ... consider it as a safety net %26amp; DO NOT EVER go below 100 dollars on your account and then that way YOU KNOW you won't over draft %26amp; get hit with all their fees %26amp; penalties and when you ESTABLISH that , it builds your credit rating that you are responsible with your money... AND check OFTEN at your bank to make sure you have money IN your account Before you write a check, so it WON'T bounce and I know that the age we live in with ATMs getting a check card with your checking account , when you use that at ATMs that are not in your banks network there are fees ( usally anywhere from 2 dollars down to 25 cents per Transaction at any ATM)... so to avoid those kind of fees , I just do not have a card, cause they are so easy to use %26amp; then the next thing you know you are over drawn ... thats how banks make their money encourging you to overdraw because they are so easy to use ... Hope this helps... rember... be WISE in that just ONE bounced check can RUIN your credit for 7 YEARS|||you put your money into a bank account, the debit card is for using the money in your bank account|||You get a debit account when you get a checking account. You're 18 and have never had a class that taught you BASIC finance?

No comments:

Post a Comment