Monday, December 12, 2011

Does this seem like a scam to you?

Background: I have posted an advert online selling 2 guitars in 2 separate adverts. Someone from Ireland has contacted me...





"Hello, I'm interested in buying your %26lt;guitar 1%26gt; (£325) Could you let me know if it's for sale. I do live North Ireland. I will send my shipper's to come and pick it up from you. I will be looking forward to hearing back from you. Kind regards, %26lt;name%26gt;. ###phone number###"


(and a very similar email for guitar 2, which i advertised at £1300)





I then replied...





"Hi %26lt;name%26gt;,


Just received you enquiries about %26lt;guitar 1%26gt; and %26lt;guitar 2%26gt; and would be happy to send to Ireland.





The both guitars are not advertised including cases but I guess it may be necessary to send them with cases via a courier - this is fine, I could just


buy a couple as a thank you for your interest in both.





Before you take you interest any further, %26lt;guitar 2%26gt; does have a scratch on the back from a belt buckle – I did not mention this as I thought people be too wary over its condition even though it is, as advertised, in excellent condition. I can send you additional pictures if you want?





Thanks for your interest”





Then they very swiftly replied…





Hello,





Thanks for the mail..Regarding the payment term My client will make out the payment to you on my behalf.





He will make out a cheque, and send it to you. The amount on the cheque will be £1800 that will cover the shipping and you will deduct your money which is £325.





Therefore, when you recieve the cheque you will take it to your bank and get back to me with the clearing date.When it does clears you deduct your money and you will be sending the rest of the balance to the Shipping company that will come for the pick-up.I want you to email me the following informations below:





1.The full name on the cheque


2. Mailing Address to send the cheque


3. Contact phone number.So that the cheque can be written out in your


name and mail to your address.





PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site..ok or any interested buyer that mail you,just let them know that it has been SOLD,so for doing that I will be willing to compensate you with £50,so your total deduction will be £425.





Hope this is clear to you. Get back to me asap!





Regards,





%26lt;name%26gt;|||google cheque overpayment scam, this is very common. Its money laundering, they want you to deposit a fake cheque, send real money to the 'courier' and a week later your bank discovers the cheque you deposited is fake and debits all that money, and they have to call the police as its fraud if you deposit a fake cheque and you will be arrested http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg…|||They want you to stop advertising in case you get a response from a REAL buyer, that is a scam. Anytime, they wan to use their own means of shipping, or their own way of purchasing, it is a big tip-off! Especially, with this one where they offer much more money than asked for. So, scam! Run for the hills

No comments:

Post a Comment